Saturday, November 14, 2009

Grass growing through my phlox...?

Starting last spring, grass started growing in my flowerbed through the middle of a large patch of phlox. When I try to pull it out by hand, I either don't get enough of the grass root or damage the phlox.





If I dig it all up, will the phlox be able to be replanted? Any other thoughts on how to get rid of the grass but keep the phlox healthy? Thanks for all helpful ideas.

Grass growing through my phlox...?
I assume you are talking about creeping phlox. Ortho makes a spray called Grass*b*Gon. It kills grass but not dicot plants, which is what phlox are. Get some and when the grass is sticking up through the phlox spray the blades of the grass. That should kill the grass and roots and leave the phlox alone
Reply:I would recommend that you dig up the entire plant gently remove the grass roots fron the bottom and replant the phlox. If the grass is perennial- it may be the only long term cure for the problem. Replant the phlox carefully and water well. It should survive just fine. If you are in an area where the phlox is blooming now, you may want to let it finish blooming before removing and replanting. Hope this helps.

scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment