Saturday, November 14, 2009

Have you ever seen the magic Hummingbird Moth?

This was the most pulchritudinous bug I have ever seen in my life. I never heard nor seen this moth before. I was walking in a park (Connecticut) in the middle of the day and went over to admire some wild phlox. Then I thought I saw a hummingbird which is a rare sight so I watched it a good while and realized the thing had antennas! It's an insect! At first I thought it was wee little alien. Then I thought it was some sort of bee or hornet. It was just like a Hummingbird, almost the size of one, if flew just like one and unlike every other moth I have ever seen was a seemingly inteligent and superb flier. It went from flower to flower still in flight sucking up the nectar. How such a creature could get enough norishment from these minuscule flowers is beyond me.It was truely magical. I went home and looked up Hummingbird Moth and there she was. I knew it could not be called anything else. Have you ever seen one?

Have you ever seen the magic Hummingbird Moth?
Many times. they are quite amazing. And, there are experienced bird watchers who have been fooled by one of them hovering over a garden of flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment